Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hola Amigos!

We have arrived in Guatemala City and all is well. This morning I finished moving all my possessions from my parents house into my new apartment, since my parents officially move to Houston on Saturday. From there, my Dad dropped me off at the airport around 10:45, where I met up with the recently-declared DOCTOR Gregory Clifford Schneeberger III Esquire, Bart Faris, Tim Ragsdale, Sophia Edwards, and Rachel Breidenbach. The flight was relatively uneventful (other than Rachel almost losing her passport while getting hit on by a drugged up TSA agent), and I was presently surprised by the fact that Guatemala is on the same timezone as Albuquerque, which is much easier on the body than the 9 hour time change I experienced last summer in Ukraine. We made it through customs surprisingly easily, and were greeted by Dr. Jacobo (a local medical missionary), Hector (an Achi youth minister from San Miguel), and two of their friends. They loaded all our luggage into their van and drove us only a mile or two to a small hotel where they had pizza and soda waiting for us. We all sat at the table trying to break through the awkwardness and embarrassment of not speaking each other's language very well and getting to know each other for about an hour or so. Luckily, Greg and Bart both speak spanish fluently, and Dr. Jacobo and one of the ladies speak english fairly well. I had no idea how terrible I really was at Spanish. It is already becoming frustrating, but I know it will get easier with time.

Guatemala City is a pretty cool place from what I could see (it was dark when we landed). I was told it has a population of around 9 million. We are in a pretty rough part of town, but the hotel is really nice. We even have a TV. In the morning we are driving up to the pastor's conference, which is about about 3 hours away. There, we will meet up with Marvin Gibson, our team leader who has been here studying Spanish for the past few weeks.

Please continue to pray for my team and I. I am honestly feeling a bit overwhelmed and under-qualified at the moment (especially in regards to my lack of Spanish speaking ability), but I know that I am not here for myself. My temporary comfort is of the least importance in light of the glory of God's will. I am weak, but I know that His power is made perfect is my weakness.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

It is raining now, which makes me pretty happy. I can't wait to see what God will do tomorrow. I have to get up somewhat early, so I need to get to bed. I'm not sure when I'll have internet access again, but you know I'll post another update as soon as I do.
Peace and Love,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment